Skip to main content

Gettin' Funky with Pru

This Thursday night at The Temple I'll be playing a set of Soul, R&B, and Funk music, which I'm dedicating to some very special friends. There is a story behind the dedication, and it goes something like this:

I had traveled from California to Ohio to visit family, and two friends from Second Life drove from their respective homes in nearby states to meet me there.

The three of us decided to go out for "Girls' Night", and I thought that a "Wine Bar" sounded like a good place to drink and chat.  You see, in my part of California, a Wine Bar is typically a more quiet, sophisticated place where the music is lowered enough that one can have a conversation.  In that part of Ohio I learned, "Wine Bar", means that the venue doesn't have a hard-liqueur license.

We walked into this place that was bustling with energy, a mobile DJ was playing very loud tunes and people were dancing and playing a giant game of  "Connect Four".  Half of the bar had been reserved for a birthday party, so the three of us found a wobbly table near the back of the room and ordered from a large menu of Beer and Wine.  The vibe was good, but we couldn't hear each other talk very well.

At some point the DJ played "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen, and two of us just naturally sang along (Alto and Soprano!) When I realized the DJ was taking requests, I started thinking about what I might ask him to play.  I finally got the courage to ask him for "Cut the Cake" by Average White Band.  He played my tune, and the whole bar was diggin' it.  He transitioned into another AWB tune, and then the joint was hopping!

We closed down the bar, and as the DJ was packing up his rig he came over to our table and thanked me for suggesting the tune. He remarked that the beats per minute were the same as the tune he had played before it, and he said "Maybe you should be a DJ".  I replied, sheepishly, "Maybe I should..." and then the girls outed me!

This time spent with my friends, as brief as it was, is now linked to a musical memory and is indelibly marked in my mind.

Selena and Gabrielle, this one's for you.

When: Thursday, August 10, 2017
@ 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm (Pacific Time and Second Life Time)
Where: The Temple in Rosehaven, in Second Life
Recommended Attire: 70's Soul, Funk, Disco, or whatever makes you feel happy.  :)

Not in Second Life?  Listen via your web browser at LaBoheme

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June Howl

This month, the Howl's musical theme will be Industrial Goth and "Witch House" , especially for Her Highness, Princess Selena. Witch House is considered a micro-genre of electronic music. It is described as "occult-inspired, dark electro... influenced by infused hip-hop sounds, mashed up and screwed beats, random industrial sounds, and irregular noises." Read more at Beat https://beat.media/what-is-witch-house . The Howl events occur twice a day; first at noon SLT and again at 7:00 pm SLT, to accommodate our denizens in different time zones.  Both events are 90 minutes in length. Friday, June 29, from 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM and again 7:00 - 8:30 PM PDT and SLT, at The Lair, in Rosehaven (Second Life). Fantasy or Goth attire from any era is encouraged. When in doubt, wear Black! SLURL:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Rosehaven%20Sanctuary/130/105/25 Did you miss the live Howl?  Listen to the set on Mixcloud !

July Howl for the Buck Moon

This month our Howl falls on the Full Moon which happens to be called the "Buck Moon".  Apparently, the month of July is when young deer develop their antlers.  Musically, I've got nothing for that theme... but some of my favorite antlered-folk are fond of Classical music so I'll present a set of Dark Ambient, Alternative and Classical music at The Lair in Rosehaven. The Howl events occur twice a day; first at noon SLT and again at 7:00 pm SLT, to accommodate our denizens in different time zones.  Both events are 90 minutes in length. Friday, July 27, from 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM and again 7:00 - 8:30 PM PDT and SLT, at The Lair, in Rosehaven (Second Life). Fantasy or Goth attire from any era is encouraged. When in doubt, wear Black! SLURL:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Rosehaven%20Sanctuary/130/105/25

October Events

This October I am presenting music at two different Masquerade Balls. My Masquerade Ball at The Lair occurs first on the calendar. This event, as with most of my Howls, will take place twice a day to accommodate my listeners in other time zones: Friday, October 26th The Lair (in Rosehaven) 12 Noon until 1:30 pm SLT (Pacific Time) and again from 7:00 pm until 8:30 pm SLT (Pacific Time) The musical theme will be Dark Classical, Neo-Classical, and Cinematic. The recommended attire is Formal Fantasy or Gothic (Gowns, Suits, Masks) The following Sunday I am honored to present the music for Princess Selena at Rosehaven's 12th Anniversary and Halloween Ball: Sunday, October 28th Rosehaven Castle 12 Noon until 2:00 pm SLT (Pacific Time) The musical theme will be Dark Electronic and Witch House. The recommended attire is Fantasy Spooky Themed Costumes & Masks